Monday, February 22, 2010

Life with little man, Garrett

Hello everyone!!!  Things are finally starting to calm down for us as a family of 5.  Garrett is doing great.  Growing, healing and just a joy.  Cody absolutely adores him and hates going to school, bed, or anything else that will take him away from Garrett.  He tells both Jason and I to tell Garrett goodnight for him after telling Garrett goodnight himself 3 to 4+ times.  I have to hear him say goodbye to Garrett several times as he walks into his classroom.  He is always wanting to give him hugs and kisses.
Wyatt thinks he is a play toy, always wanting to "pet" him.  We keep trying to tell him that Garrett is not a pet but his brother.  He does adore him.  If Garrett is crying he has to tell me, even if I am in the same room, and then says that Garrett told him that he pooped his diaper.  Of course, most of the time that is true.
Garrett is quite the eater and pooper.  He is still sleeping a lot during the day and doing fairly well at night.  He likes to get up at 2 and 5 which sounds great.  The problem is that after he eats and gets a diaper change he still is up for a while.  He seems to make sure he is up for an hour at a time.  Which isn't that bad but when you do the math, I usually get about 2 hours of sleep between feedings.  That can make for a fairly grumpy mommy in the morning but I am trying my best to be very calm with the boys.
Last Tuesday he had a check-up with his pediatrician (his 2 week check-up) and weighed 7 lbs 14 oz.  That afternoon we had to go into town to visit the other doctor to check on his circ. (I am not even going to try and spell it out) with which is looking great.  No more pokes for the jaundice, no more hearing tests, no more checks with the doctor about his circ.  His belly button/umbilical cord fell off and looks wonderful.  He is absolutely growing like crazy and it makes me sad.  Barring (sp) a surprise this is our last baby and I want him to stay small as long as possible so I can enjoy it.  Of course because of that Jason is calling him a Momma's boy because he sleeps really well with me but if I lay him in his bassinett he wakes right up.  The only time that bothers me is at night when I need my sleep.
Today we had an appointment and they weighed him at a whopping 8 lbs 12 oz.  If that is all correct than Garrett has gained almost a full pound in less than a week, well, one day shy of a week.  That just surprises me.  I know he likes to eat but one pound in a week, awesome and crazy.
The kicker happened tonight.  Garrett was in his swing and started getting fussy.  I knew he might be hungry but needed a diaper change first.  Since Jason was home I told him he got it.  I had Garrett in my arms and started saying that since I got him at night and during the day while Jason is at work, Jason can change the diapers after he gets home from work.  So, I hand Garrett to Jason and realized that my arm felt wet.  After handing him over I look at my arm and see..poop.  Yep, he had one heck of a diaper.  I had to go change my shirt.  It was great, I had to laugh.  Plus, the perfect timing I had with handing that one over to Jason without even knowing what Garrett had done, so awesome.
Garrett was due for a bath so we figured that was the perfect time.  He doesn't like baths yet.  I do remember that both Cody and Wyatt neither liked baths at this age also.  I expect his dislike for baths to change as soon as he realizes the fun of splashing the water everywhere in the bathroom.  Should be fun.
Tomorrow, the 23rd, Garrett will already be 3 weeks old.  I honestly don't know where the time goes.  I feel like we just brought him home from the hospital.  Don't babies know they are supposed to stay babies as long as mommy needs them to be?


My 3 boys and my Grandma (Bethel Beadles) 


 Doesn't he have the most infectious smile?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment