Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Read-a-thon Assembly

Cody's school had a read-a-thon going on for the month of March.  They were to read and keep track of the minutes they read.  They were also asked to ask family and friends to sponsor them.  Either friends and family could pledge a set amount or they could pledge so much per minute the child read.  I didn't want to ask but my family were kind enough to help out.  Cody raised $88 for his school. 
This morning they had a small assembly to end to read-a-thon.  I didn't like it because that meant that instead of going to school at 11:20 like Cody does everyday he was required to be at school at 7:55am.  Ugh, I am not a morning person and Cody has definitely inherited that from me.  We barely got out of the house in time to see that the assembly was set to start at 8am.  Since we were there we decided to stay.  They had a bleacher out for the parents to sit on.  The honor guard was there as well as some units in their blues and ABU's, BDU's and flight suits.  It was quite the affair.  They announced the minutes the school read.  The goal was to read a total of 350,000 minutes as a school.  The school as a whole read over 400,000 minutes.  It was quite exciting.  They also announced the #1 reader for each grade level.  The #1 reader for 6th grade was also the top reader for the entire school.
After "The National Anthem" was sung, pledge of allegience said and top reader revealed we had quite the event.  I guarantee you this would never happen at a non-military school for a read-a-thon assembly.  It was quite awesome too.  There was a fly over of 2 fighter jets.  How much more exciting can that be.
Cody also earned several certificates and coupons for fun activities and food just for participating in the event.  I didn't have my camera for pictures because I didn't know I would be there for the assembly but I do hope to get pictures of Cody with his certificates.  As soon as I can do that I will post them here.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment