Monday, October 26, 2009

My guilt will never fade

For most of you, you already know all this but for my own benefit I want to share a story about me.  This is something that happened in my life about 10 years ago and something I will feel guilty about, I am sure, for the rest of my life.  The guilt is fading and I feel like she doesn't hate me for it or blame me but I can't help but realize the things and people that she was taken from because of a decision I made.
I spent some time after my 21st birthday and a bit before drinking and such.  Nothing I could get arrested for :)
Today would have been my friends 31st birthday.  It is hard to believe that is the case.  At the time I was not the friend to her that she was to me.  She helped me get my first job, remembered my birthday and got me a great gift, and was always ready to spend time doing what my sister and I wanted to do.  Unfortunately a lot of the things we wanted to do did not include her daughter who was between 1 and 3 at the time.  Again, another example of how not a good friend I was.
Because of her though, my sister and I are still alive today.  We are both now married and my sister has 3 wonderful kids, the last of whom, I hope to be able to meet soon, and I am baking my 3rd precious child.
This past Saturday I went to visit my parents for the main reason, to visit my friends grave site.  I am grateful for the time I am close so that I can visit her on her birthday.  While there I felt very comfortable and at ease about a lot of things.  I know she has been guiding me on some of the decisions I have made recently and I am sure she had something to do with me meeting my husband. 
When the time comes and I get to meet her again I pray that I have the words that fully expresses the feelings I have wanted to share with her ever since our accident.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment